Following are some interesting facts about the EU:
- There are 512.60 Million people living in the EU. This number represents 7.3% of the worlds population.
- The GDP value of the European Union in 2018 was estimated at $18.8 Trillion which represents 22.87% of the world economy.
- In 2018 the EU ranked as the world’s 2nd largest economy by GDP, after USA ($20.1 Trillion) but ahead of China ($13.3 trillion).
- The euro (€) is the official currency of 19 out of 28 EU countries of the EU. These countries are collectively known as the Eurozone.
- The 2012 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to the European Union (EU) “for over six decades [having] contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe” by a unanimous decision of the Norwegian Nobel Committee.